Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Kanatal trip: Trek to Surkanda Devi

Waiting for hot water to kick start our day, we looked around the tent and realized that it was equipped with an attached changing room and a loo. That definitely is a luxury as the earlier camps I have stayed at had common dry pits for loos and when it came to taking a shower, we were told to feel free and take a dip in the river flowing past the banks.. Rustic if I may say!


The place had all basic amenities to map to our modern ways of living: electricity, charging point for the cell phone, network coverage. Now I know one would think why all these things would be required when taking a break from the monotony set in, but in many a cases, the comfort factor for us city slickers comes with some connectivity to the things we seldom hate. Irony of our life!


... Post the soaking of feet in the hot water we'd asked for a while back and getting ready, a call for breakfast was made and we head out to our first meal: aaloo paratha, toasted bread and omelet accompanied with some hot tea/ coffee. Thank you god!!


For those who have not stayed in this current craze, i.e. camping with extras, I must tell you that their food is far beyond delicious... I wonder what their secret ingredient is; other than fresh 'n local grown seasonal veggies and generous dollops of Chunky Chat Masala. When staying at a camp, I suggest everyone to leave their diets behind and indulge in all the good things available.


A generous serving of whatever fancied us, we sat on the chairs laid outside. Good food and warmth from the sun, we were prepping ourselves for a 3.5 km trek on an unlaid path through the forest to the Surkanda Devi Temple (सुरकंडा  देवी मंदिर ).


The trek started from a point 2 km from the camp and as we got off from the cab for the trek, I was taken aback with what I saw: Snow covered peaks: The Himalayan Range. The view was crystal clear like I could touch the mountains from where I was standing! I felt ecstatic... so lucky to be able to see what was standing in front of me. Amongst the various peaks, I recall seeing Nanda Devi and Trishul. I must confess that I went over board clicking pictures of the Himalayas, I just could not get enough of them.



After numerous poses and angles for capturing a perfect image, we finally stepped forward and started the climb. 


I love trekking and when you are surrounded by such an astounding sight, you cannot help yourself from stopping every other second to click a new view never seen before.   


The initial few steps and minutes seemed easy but as we climbed further and further I could see the mountains challenging us! Uprooted trees that lay on the path of the trek up  added to the thrill/ danger. Ferns, moss, fallen pines, ice laden rocks: one has to be careful with the climb.  


With numerous stops and resting breaks I ensured capturing every imaginable shot of the surroundings and us. Who wouldn't love posing against this pretty a backdrop so we ended up clicking duplicate pictures in the same angle: one each with Sanghi and me. Yeah, unnecessary detail but I'm sure all of us do this all the time :)



I could go on the same trek for years and years and not get bored as these numerous curves and bends would offer me something new to explore each time. I stood at one such curve leading me to a newer height and felt the silent, calm in and around me. 


With my body warmed up with climbing, extra/ precautionary layers of clothing like caps/ mufflers came off. Carrying a water bottle each was a good idea as a steep climb like this at such a high altitude made me thirsty. Carrying  electoral/ glucon-D / Gatorade could also be another option to ensure that the mineral levels are maintained in the body.  


Sipping water at every bend and stopping to click more and more pictures, we finally reached the top of the trail. 9000 feet with almost a 270 degree view, WOW!


There sat our destiny, the temple for which we trekked 3.5 km in 1 hour: Slow! I know, but when you end up stopping so often, time seems to be stand still. I must commend on the patience of the person who took us on the trek as the walk actually would have been for 30 min had we just kept to the course. 


In our final steps towards the temple, monkeys distracted my thought process. I just realized that in all these treacherous treks leading to a godly place, you will always have monkeys around. The peaceful beings allowing us to move further without any hindrance, Surkanda Devi temple we reach.


My first sight, I saw a monk/ साधू of sorts sitting outside the temple. Next, the sharp colors painted on the boundary wall just brightened my day! 

Our guide told us that the temple is considered a very holy place by the locals. Deciding whether to go in or not, we took of our shoes and went inside. Just after the gate stood a frame with 5-6 bells hanging from it. A marvelous sight in itself! The temple was closed at the time we reached, 1300 hrs, so we looked around a bit and came out. 


The trek was more of a fun activity for me than the destination. None the less, the destination offered us an altogether new view of the what really surrounded us. Below is a view of the Himalayas with colored flags in the fore ground. 




For anyone visiting this place, I suggest taking this trek though it is longer than the 1 km paved path leading up to the temple. The view is unparalleled and worth every stop due to breathlessness one may feel.




No comments:

Post a Comment